Retirement Visa

Getting a visa

We will help you with the paperwork and formalities of getting your long-stay visa. If you want to know what is required to get a visa send us a message telling us your age explaining exactly what you want and we will get back to you with the details.

My advice is; if you are coming to Thailand for a long stay & wish to apply for the retirement visa when you arrive it is more cost effective to obtain the single entry 90 day non immigrant - O visa in your home country before you leave. This visa will give you a stay of 90 days when you enter Thailand thus giving you time to prepare your documents and open a bank account so you are ready for the retirement visa application. Please note - you must apply for the retirement visa approx 4 weeks before the expiry of your 90 day stamp if you let the visa expire or wait too long you cannot apply for either visa until you obtain another non-immigrant visa. We recommend doing it at least 30 days before your 90 days visa expires.

If you click this link you will find details on all Thailand embassies and consulates in your home country including how to apply & the visa fee, most countries allow you to apply via the postal service but not all. If you arrive on a tourist visa we can help you get that converted to a 90 day non-immigrant visa then convert that to a 12 month extension but it will cost you about $300.00 USD.

To get a retirement visa you must be 50 years of age or over and have either an income of 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account for 2 months or a combination of both totaling 800,000 Baht. An example of a combination might be that you have an income of 50,000 baht per month or 600,000 baht per year and 200,000 baht in a Thai bank account. These funds must have been in the bank for a period of not less than 2 months prior to your retirement visa application.

On a retirement visa you are not allowed to do any work. Not even voluntary. To work in Thailand you need a Business Visa to get a work permit.